A comprehensive, evidence-based introduction to the principles and practices of patient communication in a clinical setting
Endorsed by the American Academy on Communication for Healthcare
Updated and expanded by a multidisciplinary team of medical experts, Smith's Patient-Centered Interviewing, Third Edition presents a step-by-step methodology for mastering every aspect of the medical interview. You will learn how to confidently obtain from patients accurate biomedical facts, as well as critical personal, social, and emotional information, allowing you to make precise diagnoses, develop effective treatment plans, and forge strong clinician-patient relationships.
The most evidence-based guide available on this topic, Smith's Patient-Centered Interviewing applies the proven 5-Step approach, which integrates patient- and clinician-centered skills to improve effectiveness without adding extra time to the interview's duration.
Smith's Patient-Centered Interviewing covers everything from patient-centered and clinician-centered interviewing skills, such as:
Companion video and teaching supplement are available online. Read details inside the book.
1. The Medical Interview
2. Data Gathering and Relationship Building Skills
3. The Beginning of the Interview: Patient-Centered Interviewing
4. Symptom-Defining Skills
5. The Middle of the Interview: Clinician-Centered Interviewing
6. Step 11: The End of the Interview
7. Adapting the Interview to Different Situations and Other Practical issues
8. The Clinician-Patient Relationship
9. Summarizing and Presenting the Patient's Story
Appendix A. Foreword to teh First Edition
Appendix B. Research and humanistic Ratinale for Patient-Centred Interviewing
Appendix C. Feelings and Emotions
Appendix D. Complete Write-Up of Mrs. Jones' Initial Evaluation
Appendix E. Mental Status Evaluation