Completely updated to reflect the massive changes to healthcare law!
Medical Billing and Coding Demystified clearly explains the practices used by medical offices, hospitals, and healthcare facilities to encode medical services in order to receive payment from government agencies and insurance companies. Like other entries in this bestselling series, this self-teaching guide uses a building-block approach that allows readers to learn at their own pace and test themselves along the way. No previous medical or accounting training or experience is necessary to benefit from Medical Billing and Coding Demystified, and the book can be used as a classroom textbook or as a complement to larger texts.This new edition offers detailed coverage of the sweeping revisions that have taken place in healthcare law, including the transition from ICD9 to ICD10 coding and the Patient Protection and Affordable Healthcare Acts. It also includes an important overview of medical billing software.
1. Introduction to billing and coding
2. Ethical and Legal Aspects of Medical Billing
3. Medical Terminology and Procedures
4. Medical Office Procedures
5. Introduction to Procedural Coding
6. Introduction to Insurance Plans
7. The Insurance Claim Cycle
8. Billing and Coding Errors: How to Avoid Them
9. Strategies for Handling Claim Disputes
10. Medical Transportation
11. Medical Practice
12. Medical Billing Software Programs and Systems
13. Finding Employment in the Healthcare Industry